Julia and her family are longtime residents of the riding of York-Simcoe. She and her husband, John, and their daughter have lived in Georgina since 1972. Julia has been involved in local and provincial issues since then.
She has served the York-Simcoe community as their Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) since first elected in 1995. During her time both in Government and in Opposition, Julia has been outspoken against government’s continued trend of attacking individual rights and freedoms. She consistently opposes government’s reach into people’s lives and works toward restoring the rights and responsibilities of individuals and families. She puts people first.
Born in Hamilton and raised in midtown Toronto, Julia is a graduate of the University of Toronto. As a high school teacher, she taught thousands of students over her 28 year career.
Julia has introduced the following Bills in the Legislature:
CURRENT OFFICIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Progressive Conservative Caucus’ Critic for the Ministry of the Attorney General
• Progressive Conservative Caucus’ Critic for Retirement Security
• Progressive Conservative Caucus’ Critic for Seniors
• Deputy Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
Previous Parliamentary Responsibilities:
• Chair of Standing Committee on Government Agencies
• Vice-Chair of Standing Committee on Public Accounts
• PC Critic for Small Business (Julia introduced Ontario’s first “Small Business Bill of Rights)
• PC Critic for Consumer Services and Red Tape • PC Critic for Culture
• PC Critic for Children and Youth Services
• PC Critic for Municipal Affairs
• PC Critic for Community and Social Services
• Parliamentary Assistant to the Premier
• Parliamentary Assistant to Minister of Transportation (Julia spearheaded regulatory changes review)
• Parliamentary Assistant to Minister of Culture (Julia spearheaded review of the Heritage Act)
• Parliamentary Assistant for Management Board
JULIA’S ROLE AS MPP FOR YORK-SIMCOE
When the Legislature is sitting, Julia is at Queen’s Park, Monday to Thursday, taking part in debate in the House and committee meetings. In between her House duties, including being Deputy Speaker of the House, she meets with stakeholders and staff regarding new ideas for legislation and ways to make existing legislation more responsive to the needs of Ontarians.
On Fridays, Julia meets with constituents at her Constituency Office and attends events in the riding. Her weekends are usually busy with community events in the riding, whether it’s a small business fair or a cherry pie-baking contest that she is honoured to judge.
When the Legislature is not in session, Julia is in the riding full time but sometimes attends Queen’s Park to meet with stakeholders, other MPPs and Ministers, or provincial staff. Julia believes her prime responsibility is the constituents she is elected to represent. She is there to help you and other York-Simcoe residents and businesses from her Queen’s Park office and her Constituency office. We can help you with navigating provincial services like WSIB, Family Responsibility Office, or even Will & Power of Attorney Kits; attaining a certificate for a special person or occasion; just contact the office and someone will be ready to assist you.
For more information on the work Julia Munro is doing as MPP please visit: http://www.juliamunrompp.com/